This Saxon ring is a magnificent and important find. It is estimated it is from the mid-sixth Century
It was discovered in a Saxon rubbish layer near Dover's Market Street in 1972 by the CIB Archaeological Rescue Corps, during excavations for the York Street dual carriageway.
The ring has a garnet stone set in a gold quatrefoil bezel and is decorated with gold wire and granulated gold. It is one of the best-preserved and most impressive Saxon rings ever found in England. It probably belonged to a senior member of the court of the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Kent.
Archaeological discoveries indicate that Dover must have been an important Saxon centre. There have been some spectacular local Anglo-Saxon finds, including the Priory Hill Brooch, the Old Park Silver Gilt Horn Mount and the Buckland Anglo Saxon Cemetery. Many of these are now on display at Dover Museum, including a selection of the finds from the 400 Saxon graves excavated at Buckland in 1951 and 1999.
Kent CT16 1PH
Tel: 01304 201066
Museum & Visitor Information Center is Closed due to Tier 4 restrictions please see COVID News for updates