St. Mary's Church
Engraving of St. Mary's Church, by S. Rawle
This postcard depicts an early view of St. Mary's' Church in Biggin Street with a clear view up to the Castle to the left of the Church.
The Church of Saint Mary the Virgin has been one of Dover's main parish churches for over 400 years. The building is of early Norman origin and Norman architecture can still be seen in the lower two stages (c.100 ad) and the three upper stages (c1150 ad) of the tower.
The church was closed by Henry VIII's Reformation but was restored to the towns-people by public request. From 1585 until 1826 the Freeman of Dover elected the Mayor inside the church at the Communion Table. The church foundations seemed to have become unsafe due to the number of burials in the floor and it was rebuilt in 1843 in the Victorian Gothic style
Kent CT16 1PH
Tel: 01304 201066
Museum & Visitor Information Center is Closed due to Tier 4 restrictions please see COVID News for updates